Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thankful for... well you'll see...

So I have been having a grumpy mom night. It was just one of those nights when the kids all seemed to need to whine at the same time, dinner was late getting to the table, and worst of all, I totally flaked out on something that I told a friend I would do (and it was a major thing, I totally forgot to pick her son up from a soccer practice, long story, but luckily he has a good coach that brought him home so all was well, but I feel AWFUL about it!).

Then, to put the icing on the cake, my hubby finally convinced me to help him clean up all of the dog poop in the backyard. You see, we have a REALLY BIG Chocolate Lab named Spooks, and a REALLY BIG backyard, and it has been a REALLY LONG winter. This means that the backyard was a REALLY BIG mess. Now Spooks is pretty good about keeping it in one area, but still you can imagine why I have been dreading this annual end of winter duty. During the warmer months we clean up after her once a week, but that is not quite possible during all of the snow.

ANYWAY, I was really trying to be a good sport about it. But even so, Rich kept asking me, "Does it hurt to make those faces?" As my face would crinkle with every shovel full. So as the fabulous evening wore on, I started to feel guilty. I was feeling like it was about as bad as it gets when I donned on me that I am so lucky! I have a great dog to clean up after. I have a beautiful backyard for my children to play in. I have a wonderful husband that wants to take care of us and keep our home looking nice. I have good, forgiving friends (even if I can be a bit of a disappointment as a friend!) I always have food to feed my family. I have three great kids that I love to pieces and wouldn't trade for the world (even with all of the whining). I was letting myself get so wrapped up in the small negatives that I was forgetting about all of the enormous positives. So, at least for the rest of tonight, I am turning my thoughts around.

Tonight I am going to be grateful for the poop!

4 comments:

Holly said...

I love the glad game, Pollyanna.

We all have to have crappy days sometimes... It makes me feel better to realize that I am not the only one that has crappy days and is sometimes forgetful.

Doin' It Digital (Shannon C.) said...

You are good to even think of the positives! Days can be hard and long, but you are right - you have to be grateful for it all! You have a beautiful backyard - Now I am coveting! :) Here's to a better day!

Rodgers clan said...

Oh Megs, I am so glad that you have bad days, you are always so positive I start to worry about myself sometimes. It's okay have "poopy" times. Ha Ha. Thanks for being such a great friend. Cacia

Megs said...

We had a golden and believe me I know how bad that is. So for you to be grateful for poop makes you pretty awesome. I love that your friend mentioned the glad game. That post totally reminded me of Pollyanna.zjyvt