Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Grandpa Great

This week has been a difficult one for our Little Family. Rich's Grandpa (or as my kids lovingly refer to him, Grandpa Great) passed away on Sunday afternoon. He was such an amazing man. He loved his wife, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren so much. He was very rarely seen without a camera in his hand to document everything that was going on at every family event. Indeed, family meant everything to him. He was so knowledgeable about all things having to do with computers. I think he was probably the only 79 year old out there that could out think just about every IT guy on the planet.

I am so glad that my children got to spend so much time with him and get to know him so well. I never had the opportunity to meet any of my great grandparents and I am so incredibly glad they did.

Grandpa with baby Ethan

The first time I ever met Grandpa was when I had just started dating Rich, clear back in high school. We had gone to Grandma and Grandpa's home for some kind of family gathering (I think it may have been a Christmas party). We all had a great time, and when we were leaving, Grandpa said to me, "Megan, you are always welcome in our home." I don't know why this simple statement impacted me so much, but it did. Since then, I have been to their home countless times, and one thing is for sure, I know that every time I have walked through that door I was always welcome, appreciated, enjoyed and loved. Thank you, Grandpa, for not only welcoming me into your home, but into your family as well.

We all love you and miss you very much.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Megan I am so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of you and your family. Know that some girl in Cali is thinking and praying for your family.

Sarah said...

How sad! I dread that day. My kids are really close to my grandparents. I worry about it all the time, since their health isn't great. I'm so sorry!

Laurel said...

I'm sorry Megan. It's so hard to lose someone close. Let me know if you guys need anything!

Megs said...

We are sorry for your loss. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Shana said...

Oh Megan, so sorry to hear about this. Your kids are very lucky to have known him and I'm sure they will have many memories of him. Please let us know if we can help with anything. We'll be thinking about your family.

Deb'nDJ said...

Megan,
I love how your write about things. You envoke a lot of emotion- usually you make me laugh pretty hard, but I was touched today as I read your post about Rich's Grandpa. Isn't it a blessing to have known this great man!
Deb